HANDING OVER FROM A PREMIER PRO PROJECT TO DAVINCI RESOLVE
The following are specifications for prepping to handover your Premier Project. Material that does not meet these specifications will need to be reformatted at additional expense.
- Please provide a mix down ProRes 422 MOV file with Time Code window burn as a picture reference. This reference file needs to be reviewed prior to delivery to us for any mistakes, as it is our gold standard reference of your edit. It would also be helpful if the window burn also included the source TC & clip names of the RAW material.
- To Apply a Timecode Generator
1, Add adjustment Layer to the timeline
2, Add Effects/Video/Timecode
3, Timecode Source - Generate
4, Label Text Auto (TCG)
- To Add Source TC and Clip Name
1, Add Effects/Video/Clip Name
2, Add Effects/Video/Timecode - Timecode Source/Media
3, Once correctly set, Paste effects attribute to all clips in the timeline.
- Simplify the timeline. It should consist of as few tracks as possible. One track is ideal, but it is understandable that some effects and titles may require additional tracks.
- Remove all Nests in the timeline.
- Join any through edits.
- Check to see that the clips / reels refer to the original camera filenames and reel names. Find a clip referenced in your timeline in its bin and make sure the ‘Camera Roll’ column has the full, 16-character RED name or Alexa name (For example, A001_C001_0505HE).
- Make sure there are no variable speed changes if possible. Any speed changes should be set at constant rate. Otherwise it will be considered a visual effect and should be noted, billed and processed accordingly.
- Mark specific edit items in the timeline. Please place locators in the timeline to mark and all effects and keyframes to those effects. Please do this for scale changes, repositions, retimes, backwards retimes, anything with keyframes, flips, flops, etc. Anything not marked may not carry over into the conform. Also be sure to mark all VFX shots in the timeline using appropriate VFX shot names.
- Export the market list. File/Export ‘Export Markers’- file.html
- Consolidate the project. Please consolidate your timeline(s) onto the one drive you plan to deliver to us.
- If not using Premier Pro to title a HD program all graphics, Lower thirds, keying content needs to be provided with an Alpha channel file format like tiff. Call to confirm workflow details for your project.
- VFX delivery specs: DPX files or open EXR. Any other format needs to be approved by Toby Heslop.
- If we are pulling VFX plates, Name and mark all VFX shots with standard industry naming (name_reel_number_comp_version) example: MNO_R1_020_comp_v001)
- File sequences must follow these rules:
- File names must include a name and frame number or other appropriate name. (Example: title_reel1_00001.dpx)
- File names should not include any spaces
- Frame numbers must have enough leading zeros so that they sort properly. We use 6 digits. (00001, not 1)
- If there are multiple reels or shots they must be in a separate sub-folders of the main title folder.
Deliver all the materials (the Reference File, Consolidated Premier Project, locator List, Titles, VFX, and original cameras, etc.) to Toby Heslop
Please use external Firewire 800/USB3 drives or RAID. Call to confirm if this is not your standard.